Thursday, January 06, 2005

The sun never shines in Valley Forge.

So for the past few weeks we haven't had any sunshine where I work. Nothing but rain and heavy cloud cover. This does not bode well for my chia-Homer. He has some growth coming in, but it's so teeny-tiny. Admittedly I don't really have any kind of reference as to what chia growth should actually look like, but I was hoping for something a little more impressive after a week. Imagine Homer's head, except that the entire thing is the color of a clay planter. Now imagine a crop of miniature two-leaf clovers growing around his head in a horseshoe pattern. That's what I've got right now, a sort of Julius Caesar looking Homer. About 75% of the seeds I smeared on there are growing. If the cold winter climate kills Homer's hair, I'll just have to try again in the summer. We'll see what happens...

So I have a degree in Computer Science, and I like to tool around with computers. So why does that make the designated person to fix everyone else's computer problems? Example: since early December my father's computer had been just freezing up. A high whine coming from inside seemed to indicate a dying hard drive. So I spend most of the 3 trips I took up to Buffalo and Cincinnati diagnosing this problem and installing a new hard drive only to find that the problem wasn't the hard drive. So it must be the motherboard or the shitty Athlon processor he had. Anyhow, I order him a new PC from Dell. I got a good deal on a PowerEdge server for him, and my sister's boyfriend works with computers so I figure there should be no problems setting it up when it comes in. Wrong again. Apparently the Windows XP CD I left them wasn't bootable, and there were problems finding a driver for the onboard video card? Whatever. Now they've somehow managed to get past all that and there are still problems, like my Dad's Palm not being detected for some reason. At this point I'm wishing I could just get up there and fix it myself. That way I wouldn't have to hear about computer problems from my Dad for at least another 3 months. And just tonight a friend of mine here in Delaware told me I get to format and fix his computer. He actually seemed surprised that I wasn't very enthusiastic about helping him.

Short post today. I'll endeavor to do better next time.

BORT!

1 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger bastardface said...

Could be worse ... your nose could be gushing blood.

Or, you could be a doctor or medical student, in which case everyone you talked to would be asking you to look at growths on their genitalia for them. Or you could be a shoe cobbler, which would lead to people constantly asking you to cobble their shoes. And you'd be like, "Cobble this, bitch!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home