Monday, January 24, 2005

S'no fun

Whee! Snow! Great! Not really.

So we got about 9 inches of snow. I think I'm at the point in my life where the only benefit of snow is that it's a nice visual.

Elaboration: before the giant snow bonanza, on Wednesday, we got about an inch of snow during the day. This completely annihilated the evening commute. On the radio, they were reporting that the drive time down my usual route home was 5 hours [that's way up from my usual 1 hour.] I heard there were about 200 accidents that night. One of mankind's greatest mysteries will always be why people lose there ability to drive competently in even the slightest of inclement weather. Anyway, I tried using a printed out map I had in my glove compartment [with no road names!] to sneak down a few back roads in my quest to return home, but I ended up getting lost for about an hour. It took about 3 hours to get home that night. I took the next day off in protest. [I also had a bad head cold.]

Fast forward to this weekend: it was nice to wad around in the snow, but then I had to dig my car out. My work does not close, ever, so I had to be prepared to get here this morning. So I dug my car out late Saturday night, not intending to go anywhere until this morning because I didn't want to have to dig out another spot. We also dug out Shannon's car. So I got up early on Sunday morning and decided that I could sneak out to get my weekly groceries and sneak back before anyone else even thought about trying to get out and get going. It was a flawless plan until Shannon decided she wanted to go with me. So I had to wait for her to shower and prepare. That was the first delay. Then, as a goof, I suggested we take her car so I could keep my excellent spot. Surprisingly, she agreed, because she desperately needed to fuel up. Her fuel light had gone on before she went to work on Saturday morning, and she did not try to fill up on her way home because of the snow, at that point only a few inches had fallen. Well when we tried to leave Sunday morning, we found that she was actually out of gas. So we then spent a lot time trying to get her car to turn over, and we actually had a little gas in a reserve tank, but not enough to get her going. So we took my car, and by the time we got back I had to dig out another spot. Yay!

And I'll probably have to dig out another one tonight, because the majority of people who live in my apartment complex are morons. Instead of digging their cars out, they just spin their tires until the burst out, and go on their merry way. [Of course they're probably the first ones to take the clean spots that someone spent a half hour digging out when they return.] And while some vehicles with 4 wheel drive have the option of parking on a snow bank, I am not so fortunate. My Jetta kicks ass, but snow kicks it's ass.

So if I had to give snow an over all rating, I had have to give it a thumbs slightly down. Maybe if I had gotten a sled earlier in the week, I could have had more fun in the snow [providing of course, that I could have found a suitable sledding hill, which is surprisingly harder that you would think considering I live in an apartment complex named 'Top of the Hill']

SNUH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home