Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Ho hum

I didn't post much yesterday because, well quite frankly not much was going on. It was sitting in traffic, followed by work, leaving work at 7 and getting home shortly after 8. When I get home at 8, I'm not going to be too eager to blog it up, you know?

So what to comment on? Well how about some of the crap I watch on TV... On Mondays we've been watching 24 on FOX. A good episode this week with Jack rescuing the Secretary of Defense in true "Solid Snake" fashion, and we got the big reveal of the ongoing menace for this season. I think. In the past, 24 has typically switched from big threat to big threat as the season progresses, so we'll see what happens. Anyhow, right it seems that those filthy terrorists have used the internet to hack in and gain control of all of the nuclear reactors in the U.S. Kind of weak, right? Let's forget about how plausible this could be for a moment, because that's never really been one of 24's strong points. Is this all they could come up with? It just seems kind of lame to me. Hopefully this part of the plot will be resolved in 4 or 5 episodes and we'll get a bigger badder better threat down the line somewhere.

One other observation/gripe I have about 24: it's predictability. The writers keep using the same plot devices over and over again, season after season. While watching the first episode, I remarked to Shannon that at least this year they wouldn't have to come up with another way for one of Jack's loved ones to be kidnapped since his daughter wasn't back this season. Wrong. His new girlfriend was abducted by the end of the episode. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, because in the first season alone, his daughter and wife were kidnapped at least 3 times [which is quite ridiculous if you consider that one season of 24 is supposed to take place over the course of a single day!] I also called that the black chick from Talk Soup/The Fifth Wheel/Friends was an evil double agent. They've used that plot device every season, too. If the writers can't come up with any original ideas, they should just end the show rather than rehash everything they've done before. I still think season 2 was the best.

We're also watching American Idol [I know, we're lame.] In the past I've found the audition stage of the show to be fairly amusing, some of the freakazoids they trot out are just too horrible to believe. While I'll bet that most of these people know they're bad and come out just to get on TV, there do seem to be a few who truly believe they have some talent. The majority of the enjoyment I glean from this show is watching Simon Cowell be a complete [yet honest] dick and crush these people's spirits. But even that is getting old. The first time I really watched this show was last year, so it was all new and great to me then. But after the auditions end, the only really interesting part of the show becomes seeing how the American public will vote for some of the worst singers because they're either a) white or b) male. Granted, I think the best talent won last year, but there were some questionable results in the voting last year. But that's only going to be the last 10 minutes of the show. Watching now I just kind of get the feeling like it's "been there, done that" so we'll have to see if I keep watching it.

Blah blah blah.

That's all of the rambling and run-on sentences I can handle for now. More later?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home