Revenge!
If you know me, then you won't be surprised to know that I was one of the many who saw Episode III last night at a midnight showing. Excellent, excellent movie. But boy did I pay the price for it this morning. My first problem was that I usually have to be at work at 6 a.m. on Thursdays, which means I have to be up around 5. Well, since I was only getting settled for bed at 3, I decided that 2 hours of sleep before work was just not going to be enough. I'm no crazy idiot face. So I wrote an e-mail to the tag team of Mark and Mark [my manager and co-worker] to let them know I'd be in later than usually and that I'd perform my early morning duties on Friday instead. No problem... except Shannon was watching me type this e-mail over my shoulder and boy did it get her panties in a knot. I'm not really sure I understand why, something along the lines of it was my idea to go to this late showing and she still had to get up on time. It's not my fault she can't flex her schedule like I can, and I certainly thought she had no right to give me grief about what I was doing. It was extra spicy annoying this morning when she got up at 7 and wouldn't just leave me alone and let me sleep. Boy, if I had a shovel handy... anyhow, I think I ended up with about 4 or 5 hours, and I got to work around 9:30ish, and Mark and Mark could care less that I was late so it's all good. What wasn't all good was the alarming amount of times the rumble strips brought me back to consciousness on the drive in this morning. That was the scariest drive in I think I've ever had, I am certain that the day I die I will have been driving on the Blue Route.
Back to the movie, while it's true that I am a huge Star Wars geek and that my taint my perspective somewhat, I thought Lucas' final effort was just the bees knees. In fact, it would be my favorite film out of all 6, but it will have to settle for 2nd behind Empire. While the film's tone was pretty dark and serious for the most part, there were still a few of the cheese ball lame "comedy" moments that made Phantom Menace so distasteful. Don't get me wrong, there's not a whole lot of it, and it is easily outweighed by the intense action and drama. And there was one line that made me just cringe:
[Spoiler]"We can find nothing medically wrong with her, but her condition is deteriorating... it's as if she no longer has the will to live." Yecch. So stupid having Padme die of a broken heart. Why not just say that Vader crushed her jugular?[End Spoiler]
So yeah, great movie, go see it. I'll probably catch it on the big screen at least 2 more times.
In other news, Shannon and I were out in Los Angeles last week on vacation [just the two of us]. We had a good time, hitting locations such as Universal Studios, Disneyland [home of a kickass Indiana Jones ride], Hollywood and the San Diego Zoo. A good time was had all [all two of us] and I got to finally go to a famed In and Out Burger [yum]. Anyhow, the moral of the story is that on Friday May 13th [our 7 year anniversary] I asked Shannon to marry me we are now engaged. We were driving along scenic Mulholland Drive when I popped the question, it's a road that goes up in the hills above Hollywood and provides some breathtaking views of Los Angeles and the San Fernando valley. I love Shannon lots and lots, and I can't imagine what my life would be like without her. Actually, I imagine that I would get more sleep and less grief mornings when I go in to work late, but I guess you've got to take the bad with the good.

4 Comments:
CONGRATULATIONS .. you got to see Star Wars!
Just kidding. Good job with the engagement.
Er.. just a heads up. If you invite Dan T to your wedding he will breakdance. He will try to pass it off as caporera or something but it will happen and it will be breakdancing.
Woon.
he's right, only for your wedding I will actually know what I'm doing!
Good job Russell!!!! Marriage is the monkey wrench in the middle of a good relationship! I should know, I've been married to your Mommy for 9 years!
Just kidding..... or NOT?
Post a Comment
<< Home